This morning I attended the Productivity Ninja workshop at Wine Street Business Centre and what a great event! There were at least 80 people in the room and it seemed every single person there could relate to the issue of productivity (and lack of in the workplace!). Lee Cottier, the host, talked about distractions – just how many there are and how easy they are to succumb to; maintaining momentum; changing your mindset; and dealing with your e-mails.
Did you know that interruptions consume an average 2.1 hours per day?!
The hour session was jam packed full of productivity tips, my favourite were these:
- Keep your e-mails closed, only checking it 3-4 times per day
- Keep a list of things achieved, not just ‘To Do’ as this can become stressful and sometimes demoralising.
- File e-mails as soon as you’ve dealt with them
- Have a strict morning routine that doesn’t involve checking your e-mails and social networks
- Work in dashes using the Pomodoro Technique, which is in batches of 25 minutes followed by a short break
There were loads more tips, all of which are available on their blog
Naturally, as soon as I got back to the office – and checked my e-mail – I started to look at Productivity software, and personally found the best one to be Remember The Milk. The basic package is free to use and we found it to be simple, efficient and highly effective.
Do I consider myself a Productivity Ninja? Not just yet, but once I’ve implemented the above, I would say I’ll be well on my way.
For more information, call us on 0117 933 0570 or fill in our contact form and we’ll get back to you.