According to a recent survey by Zoomerang in May of this year, SMB’s are still unaware of what Cloud Computing is. The results showed that:
- Only 10% of SMB’s were using the Cloud
- 47% were not familiar with the technology
- 25% had heard of it but didn’t know the meaning of it
What does this mean?
That Cloud providers need to provide an educational strategy to their service.
It’s no major surprise to me that people don’t understand the meaning of Cloud Computing – it’s not exactly self-explanatory is it? The other problem is that Cloud Computing is provided by IT companies, who never claim to be marketers. In fact it was marketeers that decided they liked the term Cloud Computing in the first place!
Anyway, the service – and the name of this service – is now ‘out there’ and not going away so how can IT companies educate SMB’s?
- Blog – the more information available, the better
- Better descriptions of Cloud Computing on their websites
- Case studies – links to their own or others (people are far more likely to relate to, and remember a story)
- Events – explaining the cloud to people face to face is far more effective than online so it’s time to step away from the computer
SpiderGroup have already had one event in Bristol to educate local businesses on Cloud Computing. Tickets for our second one will be available soon, though you can pre-register here.
For more information, call us on 0117 933 0570 or fill in our contact form and we’ll get back to you.